Friday, September 28, 2012

San Antonio to Beaumont!

Well today was quite an experience!  We left San Antonio this morning after having a big breakfast at the campground's chuck wagon.  All you can eat pancakes, that were honestly as big as the plate, which is what I had and couldn't eat all three of them.  Butch ordered the biscuits and gravy and boy, did they ever take care of him!  We stopped by the office to get our refund for last nights stay, and we met a couple in the office who were headed to Tennessee from California.  They wanted to go through the Smokey Mountain area as well.  We made sure we told them about Peace Valley, and I made sure they knew that the campground lived up to it's name!!!  

The morning was kind of overcast, but not raining.  We proceeded onto I-10 and headed toward our next stop which is Beaumont Texas!  I had picked a campground, called the number, the lady was so very pleasant and helpful.  We made arrangements for tonight's stop.  Hidden Lake RV Resort!  It's a beautiful campground with a lake where you can catch & release the fish.  It had everything we needed for a good nights rest before we headed on out in the morning!!

As we came down I-10, we noticed some dark clouds gathering off in the distance!  Now, we've seen clouds during this trip!  Not very often, mind  you, but there have been days when there were beautiful white,  fluffy clouds against a robin's egg blue sky.  Today, however, this was not the case.






These pictures were made as we approached Houston!  We stopped for fuel and lunch about 40 miles or so West of Houston, thinking maybe they'd move on!!  NOT!!   By the time we got into downtown Houston, there was a wall of rain that we just drove right into!!  It rained really hard for about 10 minutes or so.  So hard, that the rain looked about ankle deep on the roadway!  Naturally, everyone slowed down, well, most did, and we made it just fine!  Butch was driving like a pro, never missed a beat, and the only thing that really bothered him was me trying to put the brakes on from my seat!!!   I think I have a permanent mark on the carpet on my side, from my braking!!   Thing about it is, my brakes didn't work at all !!!    Anyway, we made it just fine and after about 45 minutes of rain, from pouring down to drizzling, it just all went away and the sun popped right back out and all was well.  

We arrived at Hidden Lake, got everything all set up, then gathered everything to do the laundry!  I loaded the washers and got them going, and by that time, Butch was in the laundry room with me.  The owners had a huge map of the United States with push-pins on cities that their previous guests were from.  Well, first thing we noticed was there was no pin on Chattanooga!!  So, I made sure before we finished that there was a pin right on the circle that represented Chattanooga!!  The owners were very pleasant and we all had some good laughs, as well as pouring over some maps and magazines that was in the laundry room.  Job done, we came back to the rig, put the clean items away and by that time, it was supper time!  

Now, after a big meal, clean up, we are about ready for a good nights sleep.  We are going to try to get up and be on the road, at least, by 8 in the morning.  Lots of miles to go to accomplish a goal we set for ourselves!  Will let you know if and when we reach that goal !!

I do know that the 5 are all at home now.  They made it this afternoon, and believe you me, Linda called to let us know they were home and she was heading for bed.  I think it was around 8:30 their time, so I know they are all worn out!!  Just grateful that they made it home safe and sound, and hopefully nothing else fell off their rigs, or they didn't have any more trouble!!!

Now, as I complete this entry for the blog, Butch is sitting, relaxed on the sofa and he's sound asleep.  Think I'll roust him and we'll go on to bed.  Didn't made many pictures today, due to the rain, but I promise to add more later!!

Thank you for traveling with us.

Goodnight and much love.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a busy day. From Facebook it looks like you made your destination. Enjoy you time in Mississippi!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes we did, Katrina! It rained a lot on the way, but was able to surprise our friends at the Mississippi Samboree! She reads the blog and keeps up with us on FB, so I didn't want to give her any hint!! WOW!! Was she surprised, she was just about to cry!! Great folks in MS!! Hope all is well there!!! lovya!

      Delete
    2. Hope I didn't ruin your surprise reunion with MS friends. Doesn't sound like I did but maybe your reunion happened before I let the cat out of the bag. So glad you two are having such a good time!!!!

      Delete
  2. You didn't, Katrina! We were already there by the time you posted! Don't worry. She never thought for a minute that we would be there! When she finally could talk, she said, "You're supposed to be in Texas!" hehehe We did good!! :-) Hope you all are well. Lovya

    ReplyDelete